Thursday, April 17, 2014

Defending Philosophy Biblically Part 2

Defending Philosophy Biblically Part 2

So, it seems logical to deduce that there is much support in the Bible for a Christian musician basing his or her systematic beliefs about the nature and value of the whole of music on wisdom found both in and out of the Bible. I believe that much of the wisdom concerning music and musicing may be found in the Bible.  However, I do not claim that I believe in sola scriptura as the only source of wisdom concerning music philosophy. 

I am often reminded of Jesus’ parable of the steward in Luke16:8 which states, “And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light”.  I know that this parable had absolutely nothing to say about music.  However, I believe that there is a principle in Jesus’ parable that applies to us all. The principle is that sometimes stewardship requires getting the job done with the help of others.

I do not believe that Jesus was commending the unjust steward for his unjustness.  Jesus said in Luke 16:9, “And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.”  I do not profess to know all that Jesus was teaching in this statement, but it appears that He was saying that we can gather wisdom from people who are not Christians. However, Christians are warned in Colossians 2:8 “Beware lest any man spoil you [i.e. lead you astray] through philosophy (philosophia 5385) and vain deceit [kenos apate 2756 539 i.e. empty delusion], after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment