Friday, August 30, 2013

The Holy Spirit and Music Ministry-Part 3


The Work of the Holy Spirit in music Ministry-Part 3
In I Corinthians 3:1  St. Paul told the Corinthian Christians "And I, brethren, could not speak to you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as to babes in Christ."  He continues in verse three "For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?"  Because of carnality the Christian's witness and ministry at Corinth was hampered.
I am convinced of two things; first, the musicians with the carnal mind will not receive the concept of a music ministry "in the Holy Ghost" because it is foolishness to him. He is an autonomous man, and educated man, a sophisticated man, and an emancipated man. He is musically aware, artistically aware, aesthetically aware, politically aware, and his favorite color is plaid. He is like the Barber in Rossini's opera "The Barber of Seville" who said: 
I am respectable, highly acceptable in any circle I feel at home. I am reliable, clever and pliable, I am the king of lather and foam.
He won't admit it, but deep down in his heart he doesn't need the help of the Holy Ghost. Second, the carnal mind of the church musician has learned "the word's which man's wisdom teach him." He never stops his frenzied pace to tarry for the words which the "Holy Ghost teaches." You might ask, "What will the Holy Ghost teach us concerning music?" I know exactly what he wants to teach us. He wants to teach us the truth. St. John records the words of Jesus (14:26a) "But the comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things . . . . " I know that Christ was talking to his disciples. I know that there was a lot more involved here than just music. I believe that when Christ said all he meant all - yes, A - L - L, all truth including the truth about how to worship him in music "in spirit and in truth". Let me remind you that the Holy Spirit is a safe teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment