Monday, October 13, 2014

The Learner is Not Above THE TEACHER

The Learner Is Not Above THE TEACHER
Luke 6:40, “The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.”  Adam Clarke had this to say about verse forty, “Everyone who is thoroughly instructed in Divine things, who has his heart united to God, whose disordered tempers and passions are purified and restored to harmony and order; everyone who has in him the mind that was in Christ, though he cannot be above, yet will be as, his teacher-holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners.”  Adam Clarke, Adam Clarke’ Commentary, Vol.5, p. 409.  
                 Albert Barnes further explained, “The learner is not above his teacher, does not know more, and must expect to fare no better.  This seems to have been spoken to show them that they were not to expect that their disciples would go beyond them in attainments; that if they were blind, their followers would be also; and that therefore it was important for them to understand fully the doctrines of the gospel, and not to be blind leaders of the blind”.   Albert Barnes.  Barnes Notes, Vol. 9, pp. 47-48.  
            Matthew Poole had this to say on the statement, “…for the disciple is not above his master, none must look to learn of another more than the teacher knoweth himself. But it is better applied to Christ, and is as much as if our Lord had said, I am your Master, you are my disciples, and by that relation engaged to learn of me, and to follow me. I have taught you no more than I am ready to practice; I am merciful, I forgive, I give, looking for nothing again. I do not look that you should do anything above me, an thing as to which I have not set you, or shall not set you, an example; but your perfection lieth in coming as near to me as you can, in being as your Master.”  Matthew Poole. Matthew Poole’s Commentary, on Luke 6:40.
            Every Christian musician should be a student of Christ’s teachings.  If he or she is, there will be a carefulness to impregnate these principles in that musician’s musicing.   Christ is not expecting great fetes from us, but He is expecting us to be thoroughly taught. The word katartizo (2675) which is translated perfect in the AV means to be completely or thoroughly repaired or taught.  Sometimes God has to repair or adjust our thinking.  We must be willing to let Christ tech us, because we are not above our teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment