Monday, October 6, 2014

I Want to Be a Happy Musician

I Want to Be a Happy Musician
            It was Samuel (II Samuel 23:1-2) who called David the naiym zamar or "sweet psalmist" when he recorded that, "Now these be the last words of David.  David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet (5273)A psalmist (2167)A of Israel, said, The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue."  When on studies the meaning of the Hebrew words naiym (5273) zamar (2167) it becomes apparent that the terms "sweet psalmist" mean that David was a musician who produced delightful or pleasant singing and playing, or at least we know from these words that his instrumental music was pleasant, and there is no reason to believe that his singing was not as pleasant as his playing.
            As Christian musicians, our singing and playing should be pleasant.  I am afraid that many Christian musicians are not very happy when they music unto God.  It is a trick of Satan to cause Christian musicians to music in frustration and tension.  The Bible says in Nehemiah 8:10, “… the joy of the LORD is your strength.”  It also says in Psalm 27:6 “And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.” 
            If Christians do not music with joy, their singing and playing will not be very sweet.  I have purposed in my heart to be known as a musician who musics unto God with joy and sweetness like David who was known as the “sweet psalmist of Israel”.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment