Saturday, October 25, 2014

Emotions and the Christian Musician


Emotions and the Christian Musician
            1Kings 19:4 records a time in the prophet Elijah’s life when he was so weary that his emotions were controlling his thought life. “But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.”  We can make fun of him but he was actually running to save his life.  We can say that he should have trusted God more since he had seen many mighty works of God in his lifetime.  There is no doubt about it we have never walked in his sandals.  If we had, we wouldn’t make fun of the prophet who was truly a man of God.
            It is easy for others to say that a Christian musician has to simply control his or her emotions.  That is much easier said than done!  I am well aware that our God has enough grace and power to sustain every Christian in the world who is under pressure and is struggling with all kinds of negative emotions.  Here is what God said to St Paul in 2Corinthians 12:9, “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  Paul was referring to what he called his “thorn in the flesh” which he had repeatedly asked the Lord to remove.  Instead of removing it God simply whispered to Paul, “my grace is sufficient or thee”.  Do you believe that God’s grace is sufficient for your troubles that have caused your emotions to run wild?

No comments:

Post a Comment