Sunday, May 18, 2014

Reading Hymns Can Shapes Our Faith Part 1

Reading Hymns Can Shapes Our Faith Part 1  
I was reading in James Sydnor book the other day and ran across a statement that made me ponder on the worth and relevance of hymns. “In corporate worship and in daily life, hymns can have a profound, sustaining, and complex effect on a person.  Therefore, leaders who are interested in improving congregational singing should spend some time pondering the means whereby hymn reading and hymn singing can shape the faith and influence the daily lives of their congregational members.” Hymn and Their Uses, by James Sydnor, p. 23 Those of us who believe that hymn singing is a valuable part of worship, do not need to be convinced that Christians may be edified by singing the great hymns.  
            However, I must confess that over the years I have not taken advantage of utilizing speaking the words of hymns as calls to worship and as transitions to hymn sequences.  Church musicians like me have the faulty notion that we have to sing hymns to derive value from them.  I have quoted hymns many times in my lectures on worship but I am woefully negligent when it comes to reading hymn texts in public worship.  Think about it.  The skillful presentation of part of a hymn text can be a source of valuable congregational cognition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment