Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Keeping Musical Meditations “Sweet” Part 2

Keeping Musical Meditations “Sweet” Part 2   

Psalm 104:33-34 states, “I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.  My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.”
            Christian musicians are emotional people who experience moments of extreme joy, but are also prone to times of great depression.  Many times during a musical presentation they soar to great emotional heights, and after the adrenalin ceases to flow two to four hours later, the bottom falls out emotionally and they find themselves in
John Bunyan’s “slough of despond”.
            This anonymous psalmist gave Christian musicians the formula for victorious musicing and living.  He testified in the first person, “I will”.  This statement declares that he would not let himself and his musicing to be controlled by his emotions.  Rather than erroneously believe that emotions dictate how one musics unto God, he refused to let his emotional state of mind dictate when he would music unto god with joy, sweetness, and gladness.  He was what we now call a proactive musician i.e. he created or controlled the situation by causing joy, sweetness, and gladness to happen rather than responding to emotions after they have happened.  He accomplished this by looking unto God for strength and gladness.  We know this because verse thirty four declares, “I will be glad in the LORD.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment