Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Keeping Musical Meditations “Sweet” Part 1

Keeping Musical Meditations “Sweet” Part 1   

Psalm 104:33-34 states, “I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.  My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.”  This psalmist takes the responsibility to remain glad and to be sure that he keeps his musical meditations remain sweet.  We do not know who this psalmist was but whoever he was he purposed in his heart to have control over his emotions.  Verse thirty three explains that he will travel around and sing (shiyr 7891) as I play i.e. touch or play my stringed instrument (zamar 2167) as I celebrate JHVH.  He was declaring that he would on purpose sing and play the praises with a glad (samach 8055) heart.
  Furthermore, he purposed to keep his musical praises sweet (areb 6149) I.e. with pleasantness or pleasure.  If there is anything that a church full of people should experience, it is to observe a musician who sings and plays the high praises of God with great pleasure.  Certainly they should not have to endure a musical performance by a Christian musician who looks like he or she has just eaten a sour lemon.
            This psalmist pledged to sing and play with pleasure as long as he lived (owd 5750) had any continuance.  It is worth noticing that this determined psalmist fully understood that the source of his gladness was God and not music or musical performance i.e. singing and playing musical instruments.  This musical discourse makes it very clear that although this musician enjoyed singing and playing a stringed instrument he purposed to worship God—not music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment