Saturday, April 11, 2015

I Could Do Without the Beat

I Could Do Without the Beat
            The chorus of the Doobie Brothers song Drift Away gave their philosophy of life:
                                                        Oh...Gimme the beat boys to free my soul.
                                                              I wanna get lost in your rock 'n roll and drift away.
                                                              Oh...Gimme the beat boys to free my soul;
                                                              I wanna get lost in your rock 'n roll and drift away
I hear that same philosophy sung on many of the so called “Christian” radio stations to which I sometimes listen to try to hear some sacred music.  Many of these stations are no different than the Rock stations on the AM and FM band.  I should not have to be offended when I try to listen to a radio station that professes to be “Christian”. 
            I find it offensive when a Christian recording artist gives me a hard incessant forward propelling beat and expects me to get lost in his or her “rock and roll” and “drift away” until my soul is supposedly “free”.  I do not have to “drift away” by the aid of an incessant endless forward propelling beat, because my soul is already free.  It was freed from the acts and lusts of sin and the flesh when I was born again and became a new creature in Christ Jesus.  So, I am asking the “boys” to give me “new song’ that is new because it is of a higher renovated character than the “rock ‘n roll” that I consumed when I was dead in trespasses and sins.

 

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank you for your stand for righteous music. Christian music is almost non-existent on the radio these days. It's almost all entertainment for the flesh. Even southern gospel has largely gone the way of rock and roll thanks to Bill Gaither's influence. It's all the music of the emerging one world apostate church system. Siberian Christians when experiencing American Christianity after the fall of the Soviet Union had the best description of the CCM which has now taken over, "music from hell".

    ReplyDelete