Monday, April 20, 2015

Constantly Abiding

Constantly Abiding
There’s a peace in my heart that the world never gave,
A peace it cannot take away;
Though the trials of life may surround like a cloud,
I’ve a peace that has come here to stay!
All the world seemed to sing of a Savior and King,
When peace sweetly came to my heart;
Troubles all fled away and my night turned to day,
Blessed Jesus, how glorious Thou art!
This treasure I have in a temple of clay,
While here on His footstool I roam;
But He’s coming to take me some glorious day,
Over there to my heavenly home!
Refrain:
Constantly abiding, Jesus is mine;
Constantly abiding, rapture divine;
He never leaves me lonely, whispers, oh, so kind:
“I will never leave thee”—Jesus is mine.
            I was saved in July of 1967 at the Eastern Kansas Camp.  The camp was held each year in an open air tabernacle with a sawdust floor.  The tabernacle had wooden doors that were hinged from the top and were held open with two wooden stakes.  In front of the platform was an old wooden mourner’s bench with carpet runners paced on top of the sawdust floor in front of the tough wooden alters.  It wasn’t a very fancy place but it was good enough for an awful sinner like me to find his way to God. 
            I do not remember the text from which Dr. C.E. Cowen preached  or specifically what he said that night, but I do know that I passed from death unto life that Saturday night when God, for Christ’s sake, forgave me of all my sins and removed them “as far as the East is from the west” that night in July.
            The next morning as I drove from our farm to Mid America Business Forms where I was working that summer, God brought the gospel song written by Anne S. Murphy which is written above.  The thought that forcibly came to mind that July morning was, “There’s a peace in my heart that the world never gave”.  Also that morning I became strangely aware that “All the world seemed to sing of a Savior and King”.  I was blessed that morning as I realized that “This treasure I have in a temple of clay” and furthermore that the blessed Holy Spirit was whispering to me, “I will never leave thee”.  Christian musician take heart when you remember,"...he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."  (Hebrews 13:5)
(KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment