Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Holy Spirit Will Tune and Teach Musicians  
              Come Thou Fount by Robert Robinson
              Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
               tune my heart to sing thy grace;
               streams of mercy, never ceasing,
               call for songs of loudest praise.
               Teach me some melodious sonnet,
               sung by flaming tongues above.
               Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
               mount of thy redeeming love.  

               Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
               hither by thy help I'm come;
               and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
               safely to arrive at home.
               Jesus sought me when a stranger,
               wandering from the fold of God;
               he, to rescue me from danger,
               interposed his precious blood. 
 Robert Robertson referred to God in this hymn as “the fount of blessing”.  He also mentioned never ceasing streams of God’s mercy that caused him to sing songs of praise.  Two of the greatest things that being a recipient of God’s love made him recognize was first, that he needed God to teach him this “melodious sonnet”, and second that he needed God to “tune his heart “ to praise with music.  
            We as Christian musicians need God to help us make the same two preparations before we music unto Him.  We need God to teach us how and what music we should use to praise Him.  If we would let the Holy Spirit guide us in our musical choices they would be much more efficacious and we would not have problems with songs that do not represent the moral nature of God. 
            My earliest memories of singing in church include my mother pray for me and having me ask God specifically to help me make the right choice of a song to use in the worship or evangelistic service.  Because of her wise guidance I learned as a little child to invite the Holy Spirit’s guidance in my musical choices.  My Godly mother taught me to let God “tune my heart to sing god’s praise”.

No comments:

Post a Comment