Thursday, March 13, 2014

Jesus Said “Follow Me"

Jesus Said “Follow Me"  
             St, Luke 9:59 records Jesus’ words, “And he said unto another, Follow me.”  Jesus never called sinners to a one time meeting with Him, but rather He called sinners to follow Him continually.  There were often conditions which Jesus mentioned that would have to be met before one could follow Him.  Some had to deny themselves.  Others had to have a sale (Acts 16:22).  Some had to distribute their “treasures” {to others (Acts 18:22).  Some had to get dressed properly before they could follow Jesus (Acts 12:8).  
            From St. John 12:26 we learn that the call to follow Jesus is a call servant hood and service to others. “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.”  When I was in the U.S. Army there were two kinds of soldiers: those who were what we called “short” because they were not in the Army for the long haul and others whom we called “lifers”.  Jesus does not call Christian musicians to be “short” but rather He calls them to be “lifers”!  
            Jesus calls us to follow Him as long as we live.  He does not call sinners to mere repentance, but also to a life of following Him as devoted servants.  Christian musicians need to understand that Jesus does not call gifted musicians to be a mere “flash in the pan” but to be lifetime followers and committed servants.  Jesus is not asking for part of us, but, rather all of us. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment