Saturday, December 19, 2015

It Wasn’t Just Any Baby

It Wasn’t Just Any Baby

Luke 2:12, “And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.”
            I was looking at the second chapter of Luke’s Gospel and this verse stood out to me.  I wonder what went through these shepherd’s minds when the angel proclaimed, “You shall find THE baby.”  The angel wasn’t talking about just any baby.  This baby was the Son of God.  These men were keeping the night watch over their sheep so that wild animals would not kill them.  I have often wondered why God sent one of His angels to these humble hard working men. 
            Although I have no evidence to prove my theory, these men must have been very knowledgeable of the prophecies concerning Christ’s birth.  Lu 2:11 simply tells us that the angel announced to these men, “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.”  They had no doubt been looking for the Messiah to come, but it is somewhat unlikely that they were thinking that He would be born at that time.  My thoughts are that during this Advent season Christian musicians believe that Jesus will return, but many busy musicians aren’t looking for him to come today or tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment