Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Involving Children in the Advent Season

Involving Children in the Advent Season

Isaiah 28:10, “For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.”
            A good way to involve children in this season is to make an Advent calendar.  As far as I can tell, Advent calendars can be traced back to the 19th.century.  I think that the first calendars came from the protestant Christians. These calendars provided a space for each day in December through Christmas Eve. Parents should make spiritual things a major part of the events which are marked in this Calendar.  Remember, the Bible teaches that children learn precept by precept.
            The Christmas season is an excellent opportunity for children to learn about Jesus’ coming and to “make happy memories” at the same time.  Children should remember this season as a joyful time.  So, make the real thing that matters during the month of December Christ’s coming to this earth.  I remember several years ago when our family went to the Cincinnati zoo to see the Christmas lights.  It was a wonderful night and the lights were exquisite in their brilliance, color, and beauty.  However, the thing I remember the most was our family riding the train.  I remember so vividly that as we rounded the corner on the bridge over the pond our grandson Caiden (who was at that time just a tiny boy) burst into a portion of a song he had learned, “Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down.  Here I am to say that You’re my God. Altogether lovely, Altogether worthy, Altogether wonderful to me.”  Needless to say there were many tears of joy as he serenaded us in that public arena that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment