Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How Should We then Sing?


How Should We then Sing?    
I Corinthians 14:15 states, “So what shall I do?  I will pray with the spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with the spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.” (NIV)  
       How should we then pray and sing unto God?  It seems that Christian musicians tend to identify more with singing and praying with the Spirit than praying and singing with the intellect.  It doesn’t have to be either or, because, if praying and musicing is to have the proper balance, they must utilize both Spirit and intellect.  Our musicing must have both Spirit (pneuma 4551) and intellect (nous 3563). 
       If our musicing is going to be effectual we need the anointing or the Holy Spirit.  However, it is difficult for the Holy Spirit to bless and anoint our musicing unless we engage our mind.  Our musical offering must include thought, feeling, vitality, believability, and mental understanding if it is to have very much real meaning.
       Remember that “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits” (II Timothy 2:6).  Christian musicians must be fed spiritually before they are able to feed others with their musical offerings.  It is only when the Christian musician’s soul is fed that he or she will have true spiritual understanding of the spiritual message of the music being presented to God.  So, efficacious musicing requires the aid and anointing of the Holy Spirit on the musician’s musical offering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment