Friday, September 6, 2013

The Holy Spirit and Music Ministry-Part 9


                                  The Work of the Holy Spirit in Church Music-Part 9
            In the Old Testament the same Hebrew word that is used of the prophets Isaiah, Nahum, and Habakkuk is used of the chief musician, Chenaniah.  In other words, Chenaniah’s burden for song was borne upon him from the Lord just like the message of God was given to the prophets.  It wasn’t perfect pitch that made Chenaniah great, but it was his spiritual burden for the song of the Lord that brought him to prominence.  He is recorded in Scripture for all eternity as one who had a great burden for the ministry of music.  His burden was like that of the prophets of the Old Testament.
            As church musicians, what are we going to be remembered for when we depart this life?  Will it be that we could play sixteenth notes at a hundred and sixty-six or that we could sing a high “C”?  I don’t know about you, but I’m concerned about what kind of report will be written in the Book when I face the great day of Judgment  When I stand before Him whose eyes are as a flame of fire will my music ministry be all “lather and foam” or will He say “you rehearsed in the Holy Ghost, you directed in the Holy Ghost, you taught under the anointing of the Holy Ghost, you laid your face before me for your students, you pastored your choir, you plead with me for the music majors I placed in your charge.”  Charles Wesley wrote:
            A charge to keep I have, a God to glorify
              A never dying soul to save, and fit it for the sky;
To serve the present age, my calling to fulfill,
O may it all my powers engage to do my Master’s will!
Arm me with jealous care, as sin Thy sight to live;
And O, Thy servant, Lord, prepare a strict account to give!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment