Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Keeping Your Promises to God


Keeping Your Promises to God

Psalm 61:8 
So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows. 
                Biblical scholars differ in their understanding of the Hebrew word shalam (7999).  Opinions include perform, fulfil, render, restore, peace, finish, pay, etc.  The context of each Hebrew thought caused the various exegetes to use the various English words. 
                In the context of verse 8, which is a musical discourse, I believe that it was just to render shalam as perform.  You see that is what Christian musicians do.  They perform music!  Perform is not a word with negative connotations.  How Christians perform is what matters not merely that they perform, fulfil, or render their music unto God.  Any sinner can crank out a religious song. 
                David performed his vows unto God by singing praise unto Elohiym (430) the supreme God.  This musician performed his vows unto God every day.  Every day David performed “unto thy name” as he praised the supreme God through musicing unto the plurality of Deity.  God’s creation (music) provided David the means of grace necessary to worship God. 
                Christian musician have you made any vows unto God?  Did you promise God that you would give Him back all of the musical talent that he has given you?  Are you keeping your promises to God by performing music unto God every day?

 

1 comment:

  1. This is a good reminder....and as I think over it I realize again that my "performing music unto God" is different in the stages life brings me. But the music (whether it is performing or teaching or singing my way through a rough mommy day) is always to and for Him.

    ReplyDelete