Saturday, May 11, 2013

Covered with Waves

                                                                       Covered with Waves  
       St. Matthew 8:24-25 states, “And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: and he was asleep.  And his disciples came unto him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.”
       As I wrote this blog post, I was sitting in my daughter Deanna’s living room looking out of a very large picture window at a very boisterous sea.  The white caps were crashing onto the rocks along the shore with great vengeance.  I can imagine how the disciples felt that day when they were at sea.  Perhaps when they entered the ship with     Jesus that day the sea was very placid.
       The day before the sea had been very beautiful and calm in Northern Ireland but this day it was a scary sight to behold.  Now I understood why the disciples were so terrified and why they were so intent on waking Jesus.  I know that I would have been the one waking Jesus if I had been in waves like the ones I was observing as I looked out at the sea in front of Mark and Deanna’s home.
       Jesus said to them, “Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?”  I can’t say anything bad about his disciples because many times when the storms of life face me, I panic!  I guess when I cry to him He lovingly chuckles and says, “Don’t you know that I’m on board your little ship?”
       I know He is on board but I tend to be like Hid disciples.  I’m guilty of saying, “Master, carest not that we perish (Mark 4:38)?”  I know that he can control the waves on the sea of life but somehow I am sometimes doubtful that he will still them.
       I am greatly comforted by His words “Peace be still.”  When Jesus says these words there is always a great calm in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment