Sunday, September 25, 2016

Gideon Blew a Trumpet


Gideon Blew a Trumpet

            Gideon blew a trumpet and Abiezer followed him.  Gideon’s blowing of the shofar taqa caused Abiezer to follow Gideon because the blowing caused Abiezer understand the message being proclaimed.  This verse supports the thesis that there is meaning in the music part of the music.  The word taqa has no doubt much more meaning than we understand in the translation.  The Encyclopedia Judaica gives some explanation of the meanings of the various types of blowing of the Shofar.

            However, the most striking meaning of this passage of Scripture is “the Spirit of the LORD came upon (labash 3847) Gideon”.  Labash means that the self-existent eternal God who is sent the Holy Spirit who wrapped himself or clothed Gideon with His power and blessing.  I am strengthened and encouraged when I read that the Holy Spirit wrapped an Old Testament trumpet layer with His power. That power made Gideon’s trumpet playing efficacious

            I am convinced that the Holy Spirit will enshroud a Christian musician’s musicing with His power.  I am reminded that Acts 1:8 states, “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” Praise God we have His promise that as He “came upon Gideon” as he pronounced God’s message with his trumpeting, the Holy Ghost will “come upon you” as you music His message of good news in this century.

Song for the Day Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart by George Croly

Thought for the Day

A life in the Holy Spirit will do more than anything else to make a Christian’s music ministry efficacious.

Prayer for the Day

Holy Spirit my door is open wide to your leadership in all my sacred musicing.  I am asking You to “come upon me” as I music unto you and for you.  Please help my music witness to be efficacious.  I want You to know Lord that I do not want to music in my own power but rather I want you to give me that daily dunamis of the Spirit that will enshroud my music ministry.  This I am asking in Your powerful name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment