Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Seven Last Sayings of Christ—part 7


The Seven Last Sayings of Christ—part 7

Luke 23:46, “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”(Ps 31:5; Mt 27:50-51; Mark 15:37; John 19:30; 1Pe 2:23)

            The seventh saying of Jesus when He was being crucified was a statement of comital of His spirit into the hands of God the Father.  Jesus willingly left the portals of glory; became Emmanuel God with us; ministered to the needs of mankind; taught those who would listen; finished the work that the Father had given Him to do; suffered and now was about to die for the sins of the whole world.  As has been recorded in Joh 17:4 Jesus said to His Father, “I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.”  Surely Christ had done everything that He came to this earth to do as St. John 17:4 recorded “I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.”  Jesus was misunderstood and persecuted while He was on this earth.  He came to earth to, as Luke 24:7 explains to “…be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.”

            We know that Christ’s purpose for coming to this earth was to do His Father’s will when He said in John 4:34, “… My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.”  We also know from Matthew 26:39 that Jesus was intent on doing the will of God the Father when he prayed in the garden, “O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”  Since the incarnate Christ was not only very God but also very man, from a human standpoint it was very difficult for Him to suffer and die on the cross of Calvary.  Nevertheless, He was obedient to His Father’s will.  None of us have anything to do during this Easter season that is as difficult as what Christ had to endure.  So, If you have been given a difficult  spiritual task by Our heavenly Father, be assured that God’s grace will be sufficient to see you through that difficult task.

Song for the Day “God’s Great Grace”  by Floyd W. Hawkins

           






No comments:

Post a Comment