Sunday, April 30, 2017

Brunch with Jesus—part 6


Brunch with Jesus—part 6

            Matthew 4:19 states, “And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men” and Mark 1:17 records, “And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.”  The disciple’s brunch with Jesus reinforced Jesus’ desire for Christians to do more than sing about fishing for men.  If we have brunch with Him he will also remind us that we must become “fishers of men”; that proof of love is proof of new spiritual life; and that proof of love involves much more than musical rhetoric about loving Him. Some of our worship musicing, when we brunch with Jesus, should be a call to becoming “fishers of men” and to Christian service by renewing our vow to present ourselves as living sacrifices unto God.  Although Christ had called His disciples to serving others long before His suffering, death and resurrection, He took the time to appear this third appearance to His disciples to have brunch with them and remind them again that loving and worshiping Him involves loving and serving others.

            The purpose of my posts about having brunch with Jesus is not about downplaying the singing of praises to the blessed Trinity.  I want to make it very clear that having brunch with Jesus should include bestowing sincere lavish praise on the triune God that we love and serve. However, I am convinced that Jesus desires that we show Him our love and worship by loving and serving others.  Therefore, a part of having brunch with Jesus should not only involve our praise responses to Him, but also our allowing Jesus to not only feed our souls but also talk to us about what really matters to Him.    

Thought for the Day

God does not desire for you to bring him a dead lifeless musical offering, but rather, He desires only living breathing sacrifices “which is your reasonable service.”    

Song for the Day Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us attributed to Dorothy A Thrupp   

Prayer for the Day

My precious Father I love to fish for men but I am not very good at it.  If I ever get any better at fishing for men I must take the opportunity to Have brunch with You Jesus so that I can learn where you want me to fish.  Lord, I confess that I come empty to your brunch most of the time.  Please help me to come more prepared to come into Your presence. I confess that I am so needy.  please give me spiritual sustenance so that I will be able to fish for men. This I am earnestly asking in Your sufficient name.  Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment