Thursday, April 27, 2017

Brunch with Jesus—part 3


Brunch with Jesus—part 3

            The disciples came prepared to Christ’s brunch.  Although they had fished all night without any success, they were able to come with 150 fish because: 1) they were in the place where they could catch fish, 2) they were honest with Jesus when He asked them, ‘Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.”, and 3) they obeyed Jesus when He said, “Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.”  If a Christian musician desires to come to Jesus’ brunch with a fresh filling, then he or she must attend to the means of grace, be honest with Jesus, and take His advice. The disciples were in a place where they could catch fish.  Serving Jesus requires fishing, not merely singing about fishing.

            Burnout is a common occurrence for musicians who have given and given and given until it seems that there is simply nothing more to give because our nets are empty.  Sometimes ministering musicians feel very much like the disciples who had toiled and toiled throughout the night hours.  However, this malady was curable for the disciple and it is also curable for us.  Like the disciples, we must be faithful to the task at hand.  Jesus is able to help those who stay in their little ships and keep fishing when it seems that the fish will never bite.  Sitting on the bank near the sea of ministry whining about the fact that the fish will not come into our net does not cure burnout and does not enable us to do the thing that will prove to Jesus that we love him.   

Thought for the Day

This week remember that Jesus is saying as He did in John 14:15, “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”  Some musicians try to bring a musical offering of praise and adoration to Christ’s brunch without keeping His commandments.    

Song for the Day  I Gave My Life for Thee by Francis Havergal   

Prayer for the Day

Dear precious Lord I am asking you to forgive me for whining about how hard I have worked for You.  If I even have to work 24-7 that will be a “present far too small”.  Wh  en I think for just a moment what you have done for me and what you do for me every day, I am ashamed of my attitude. Please help me to fight burnout like a tiger.  Also Lord, I confess that many times I try to music to You and for You in my own strength.  Please help me to come to your brunch and be fed and renew my vows to You.  This I humbly ask You.  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment