Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Brunch with Jesus—part 2


Brunch with Jesus—part 2
            Yesterday we considered some of the benefits of the bread and fish provided in Jesus’ brunch. Those who wish to have brunch with Jesus sometimes believe that the content of our worship musicing should be all praise. Although praise music is very important to worship it is not the complete content of having brunch with Jesus   When we take a careful look at the content of Jesus’ brunch, we find that it was not completely about praise. Dining with Jesus was about receiving but it was also about a call to action. 
            First, Jesus gave them the invitation to come to Him.  Jesus gave them a call to worship which connotes coming close to Him.  Jesus didn’t hand out fish sandwiches to them on the boat.  Having brunch with Him required coming into His presence.  Only when they came close to Him, were they able to dine with Him.  Jesus did not say to them, here is some food now go and eat by yourselves.  We can only receive the sustaining benefit of the Bread of life and the sustenance of mature meat when we dine in his presence.
            Second, Jesus did not only demand that they come into his presence, He also required them to bring something to His brunch.  In John 21:10 “Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.”  Jesus expected the disciples to bring something to his brunch because His brunch was a potluck brunch.  Today, each Christian must bring something for the congregation to eat. The disciples had made pre-preparation for their brunch with Jesus.
              It is one thing for Christian musicians to show up and sing and play some praise music, but is another for them to come to Christ’s brunch with a fresh filling.   Remember that John 21:11 records, “Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.” 
Thought for the Day 
If a Christian musician comes to brunch with Jesus spiritually empty and dry, then he or she will not be able to bring an offering of sincere praise to this spiritual feast. 
Song for the Day Jesus Is the entire World to Me by Will L. Thompson  
Prayer for the Day 
 Precious Lord I am sobered when I  remember the many times that I have almost let Satan convince me that I am so “wrung out like a rag” that there is no more any way that I will have anything to give to Your lambs and sheep.  At those times I am aware that my net has been on the wrong side of my little boat.  Lord I am asking you once again to help me to fish on the right side.  Lord help me this day to hear Your voice and obey Your voice so that I may have something to bring to your brunch.  Help me to trust You to help me to experience a fresh filling in my empty net.  These petitions I am presenting to Your powerful name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment