Friday, November 21, 2014

Congruency in Our Musicing part 1

Congruency in Our Musicing part 1
            Although I do not often use my blog posts to “blow off steam” I am going to do so today and possibly for a few days to follow.  I like to consider myself to be a conservative Christian musician.  Those who know me best know that I often contend for the value of traditional sacred music in this century (I also contended for the same in the last century).  I have often said that what a musician really believes is revealed in his or her music and in the way that a musician musics unto God.  I believe in a conservative lifestyle but I also believe that being a conservative Christian musician goes far beyond how a musician dress or looks when he or she musics unto God.
            However, before I elaborate on lifestyle and its relationship to a Christian’s musicing, perhaps the first order of business should be to give a clear definition of the terminology conservative Christian musician. I believe an accurate definition of a conservative Christian musician is one who holds to and highly regards traditional attitudes and values about sacred music and is therefore cautious about, but not necessarily antagonistic to,  change or innovation in sacred music and musicing.   We should also consider that this conservative musician is first a Christian and secondarily a musician, artist, performer, music director, music educator, composer, arranger, and church musician.

No comments:

Post a Comment