Friday, September 8, 2017

The Measure of Our Thanks


The Measure of Our Thanks

            Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” --WT Purkiser This statement by Dr. Purkiser causes me to have a fresh awareness of the responsibilities of all of us who are so richly blessed by our heavenly Father.  We often speak of our blessings but it makes me wonder do I walk the walk or do I merely talk the talk.  Many musicians that I know, including myself, often whine about how bad things are and this, I confess, has taken up much of our conversation time. 

            Speaking to the Pharisees and scribes in Mark 7:6, “He answered and said to them, "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.”  I sometimes wonder, am I somewhat like them?  So does what I do with the blessings that God has bestowed on me put me in the same category as the ancient scribes and Pharisees?

            Rather than hide behind the fact that I am nearly 70 years old and a retired music teacher, I must share my blessings with others.  Rather than hide behind a false humility that convinces me that someone else is a more qualified or talented musician, I must continue to give my very best musical offerings to Jesus Christ.  I remember hearing an older Christian say years ago that if God would give him the strength, he was going to bite Satan as long as he had teeth and when his teeth were all gone he would bite Satan with his bare gums as long as God would give him strength.

Song for the Day Thank you lord for Saving My Soul by Seth and Bessie Sykes

Thought for the Day

In the midst of being involved in a music ministry weary Christian musicians may erroneously consider the musical gifts that God has given them to be a liability rather than a blessing.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment