Sunday, September 24, 2017

Give Me an Understanding Heart


Give Me an Understanding Heart

As Christian musicians we do not need to get blown around by every notion that every writer has about the lack of authenticity of what the Bible teaches about music and musicing, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2Timothy 1) St. Paul stated in the twelfth verse of the same chapter, “For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” 

            Sometimes I wonder why so many writers have piled in on the side of those who believe that God’s holy inspired word is not holy or inspired.  It seems that if a Christian musician believes that God’s Word is true objective truth, the majority opinion is that he or she is a bigot or at least has been hiding under a rock.  I never like to be an alarmist or a dooms day writer but I do have to admit that many Christian musicians seem to be ashamed of any Bible based philosophy or music praxis. 

            Many post postmodern musicians know that they cannot know based on what the Bible states about music and musicing. “Nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.”  I know that God’s word is a guide and light to Bible believing Christians musicians in this century.  I would be “ashamed” if I chose not to believe God’s Word--all of it!  So, I firmly choose to believe even if that makes me a bigot or a dunderhead in the sight of the majority of Christin musicians in this century.

Prayer for the Day

            Oh thou great, powerful, and wonderful God who is totally without flaw, I am coming to You as a little child.  I am hiding under your protective wings like a little helpless chick.  I do not have great wisdom so I am coming to You for help and musical guidance.  You have promised in Your Word that I can have the mind of Christ.  Give me wisdom and understanding as I study what Your Word teaches about music and musicing.  Give me an understanding, humble and teachable heart.  This I am praying in Your TRUSTWORTHY name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment