Monday, June 13, 2016

Not only Beautiful but also Suitable—part 6


Not only Beautiful but also Suitable—part 6
            I spend much time throughout the summer and fall months each year going through literally hundreds of dresses and tailored suits trying to find a Christmas outfit for my wife.  I do this because this search is a part of my love language to her.  I could just grab something off the shelf.  I could just look at the price tag or I could have one of our three daughters pick out an outfit, but that would, to me, show a lack of love and caring.  Instead, I want the right color, the right size, and the right fit, and the style of garment that will be the best suited to her.  A suitable outfit for my wife requires a number of careful considerations that all matter to her and to me.  She knows and I know that how she is dressed represents who others think she is.  Because I wish to present her in the very best way possible, I want her outfit to put her in the very best light before others.
            If you knew how much time I spend each year picking out an outfit for her you would be convinced that I am not a good steward of time, am extremely slow, too much of a perfectionist, can’t make a decision, or that I love her so much that I want this gift to be the best love gift that I am capable of giving to her at Christmas.  In my mind I draw a philosophical parallel to a Christian making a prescriptive choice of which beautiful, appropriate, and suitable musical selection will be the best musical offering for the Savior who left the portals of heaven; was born of a virgin; served, suffered, died for our sins, and rose triumphant over sin, death, hell and the grave.  Surely a Christian musician’s love language to God should cause that musician to be careful to select only the most suitable, appropriate and profound musical offerings to present to a high and holy triune God.  Love for God, who is the object of worship, and not law should guide one’s selection of musical offerings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment