Saturday, February 13, 2021

Guard Your Heart

 

Guard Your Heart

Proverbs 4:23   Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. 

           Many people believe “you are what you eat” but ignore the fact that “you are what you hear” and “you are what you perform.”  How does a Christian musician come to the conclusion that Christians are immune to the effects of the music they listen to and perform?  If any musing takes place in a person’s passive or active musicing, then it stands to reason that it will have a positive or negative effect on the whole life of that individual. 

          Proverbs 23:7 explains, “For as he thinks (shaar 8176) in his heart so is he...” If this Scripture is true, and it is, Christians will be what they muse.   The word shaar means to open as a gate-keeper.  Although God will help us, we as Christians are responsible to not open the gate of temptation.  Therefore, all musicing must be done advisedly since it will have a positive or negative effect on the heart life.  Proverbs 4:23 warns, “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”  What makes a Christian conclude that he or she may feed on musical filth for hours at a time and still maintain a holy heart life?

 Thought for the Day

We used to say on the farm back in Kansas “It does not make much sense to close the gate after the cows are out.”  The same is true of a Christian’s music listening habits.

Prayer for the Day

My Heavenly Father I am asking you to help me to guard my thoughts and actions today.  Help me to be the kind of gate-keeper that refuses to open the gate to temptation.  I am also asking You to keep my tongue from evil, and my lips from speaking guile. (Psalm 34:13)  Help me to fill my mind with music that will honor you.  These things I am asking, trusting that You will answer according to Your perfect will.  Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment