Sunday, August 13, 2017

Singing to the Rock of Our Salvation-part 1   


Singing to the Rock of Our Salvation-part 1   

Psalm 95:1-2 states, “Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.  Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.”  (NIV)

       Why do we sing unto the Lord?  We sing because our hearts are joyful.  We are so excited about Jesus the Rock of our salvation that we shout aloud because of the thanksgiving and praise that wells up in our hearts.  Because of this joy we come before His presence with thanksgiving.

       What does it mean to extol the Lord with our musicing?  The word ruwa (7321) which is justly translated extol in the NIV means to shout aloud or to music with great strength.  It does not connote noise making as the AV would suggest.   The word todah (3034) which is translated thanksgiving means literally to extend the hands in worship. The words music and song in the NIV and psalms are derived from the Hebrew word zamiyr (2158) means to accompany a song with instrumental music.  So when we extol God with our musicing we sing with great strength songs accompanied with musical instruments. 

Song for the Day “Spirit of the Living God” by Daniel Iverson   

Thought for the Day

If you really want to “practice the presence of God” in your life, you might try meditating on the Decalogue “day and night”.

Prayer for the Day

Dear Lord I am coming before You with a heart that desires to worship You.  I am lifting my hands and my heart to You.  I am asking that all the vocal and instrumental music that I present to You to bring honor and glory to Your name.  I am returning to You all my strength and all my musicing abilities.  Please accept them as my willing offering to You.  This I am asking.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment