Friday, August 25, 2017

God Will Take Care of His Musicians Who Are Seniors


God Will Take Care of His Musicians Who Are Seniors

Psalm 71:1-2, “In thee, O Jehovah, do I take refuge: Let me never be put to shame.   Deliver me in thy righteousness, and rescue me: Bow down thine ear unto me, and save me.” (ASV)

            Some Bible commentators believe that this psalm was written by David, but this we do not know with certainty because it has no inscription or name attached.  I identify with the writer because in the eighteenth verse he mentions being old and grey headed.  I most often suppose that I am writing to musicians who are young, but when I think about it I know that many Christian musicians are in their senior years. 

            Another misunderstanding is that older Christian musicians are so grounded in knowledge of God’s loving care that they do not get depressed like younger musicians.  I have spent much of my life quoting scripture to young musicians and encouraging them to keep going when their place of ministry brings them much consternation.  However, now that my hair is not only grey but also turning loose, I have recently found myself becoming less sure of myself.  These times have caused me to begin to doubt my value as an active musician etc. etc. 

            The psalmist who was depressed at this time found himself in need of God’s help and deliverance in the first part of this psalm, but later in the psalm he says Ps 71:14-16,”But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.  My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers thereof.  I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, even of thine only.” KJV So, I have decided to take the psalmist’s advice and stop whining and start praising God “more and more”.

Song for the Day “It’s Amazing What Praising Can Do” by Carroll Roberson



Thought for the Day 

Psalm 118:24, “This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”  God not only made this day but He also ordered this day.   So, He knows what His musicians are facing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment