Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Hymn of Consecration

A Hymn of Consecration
By Francis Havergal
Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise.
Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.
            Each line of this famous hymn begins with the word take which means among other things “to get physical possession of”.  This hymn speaks of a person’s desire to allow God to take tangible possession of the Christian’s: life, moments, days, hands, feet, voice, lips, silver, gold, intellect, will, heart, love, and self.
            What can all this mean to the Christian?  Is it possible for a mortal being to actually submit all the things mentioned above?  Is it possible for a Christian musician to become “ever, only, all for Thee?  From the lyrics of this lyric poem it is evident that Francis Havergal believed that it was possible.  One has said that if the Lord is not Lord of all He will not be Lord at all.  Malachi 3:3 teaches, “And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.” 
            I am sobered by the fact that the Levite musicians of ancient Israel were expected to allow Adon YHVH (113 3068) to purify their hearts in order for them to be able offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness. (See Malachi 1:1)  Although Bible exegetes have varying ways of explaining this Scripture, the fact remains that these musicians needed purification in order to be effective music ministers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment