Sunday, January 17, 2021

Humanism and Music Philosophy

 

Humanism and Music Philosophy

               To many people who read a work on philosophy of music, an author that rejects humanism is considered to be either a bigot or at least a writer who has been hiding under a rock. So, I will define some basic understandings of what being humanistic is generally considered to be. A simplistic definition of a humanist is a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity. A simplistic definition of humanistic is being concerned with the interests and welfare of humans. However, a more realistic definition of one who is humanistic is one who adheres to the philosophy which often rejects religion in the process of asserting human dignity and man's capacity for fulfillment and self-actualization. Therefore, I find myself at loggerheads with what humanism really stands for as it is played out in the philosophy and praxis of a musician. Furthermore, there are music philosophers who are secular humanists and others who are religious humanists. They both believe that all musicing begins and ends with man. Therefore, in reality they are in reality autonomous musicians.

               I am not a humanist, but I am concerned with the interests and welfare of humans. To not be concerned about the welfare of others would not be Christian because Jesus said in Luke 10:27,  “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.”  However, much of my philosophic writing openly rejects what humanism has come to mean. So, when either secular or religious musical humanism is discussed in my book, the reader must remember that I am in no way advocating denying the human rights of musicians or that I do not care about musicians as humans. I am simply rejecting the philosophy that music begins and ends with self. I also reject any path toward a music philosophy that rejects theology; what the Bible teaches about music and musicing ; and musicing outside of the Lordship of Jesus Christ .

No comments:

Post a Comment