Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Help Me to Lift up Your Name


Help Me to Lift up Your Name
Proverbs 27:2,  “Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.”
          Many times the ministering musician works without much or any recognition from others.  We all say , and most of us believe that our ministry if for the glory Jesus Christ and for the edification of those to whom me music.  C.T. Studd wrote a poem that included the words. Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.”  Most Christian musicians that I have been well acquainted with believe that Studd’s statement is true.   We know that it is true but sometimes we forget it for a few brief moments when we are depressed ad lonely.
          When a Christian musician is deep within the Slough of despond mentioned in John Bunyan’s allegory, he or she may be tempted to believe that “He that tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted.”  At such a time the words of Solomon are still true,  “Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.”   Isaiah 42:8 reminds us that, “I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.”   So, God will not share the glory that belongs to Him with any church musician or Christian performer.  Even if a Christian musician works hard and does not receive recognition from others, that musician should not ‘toot his own horn’.
Prayer for the Day
Lord, I know that You are worthy of all praise and I really want You to have all the glory that may result from my musicing.  Help me to resist the temptation to become a “glory seeker”.  When I am lonely and believe that I have been forgotten, help me to do what I do for Christ, because I know that “Only what’s done for Christ will last.”  Lord, lift me up above the accusations of Satan and help me lean on You as my strong tower.  Help me to be a good and faithful musical servant.  This I am praying in Your wonderful name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment