Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Hymn Book--“Banished and Vanished”-part 8


The Hymn Book--“Banished and Vanished”-part 8
            I have noticed that churches that never sing from printed music often only sing unison.  I have also observed over the past decades church members who have never sung from printed music cannot sing parts. I have observed this musical malady not only in the USA but also in some places in Europe.  The Europeans that I have observed singing in church are great hymn singers but they are no longer great part singers. Those who do not use a musical  skill with regularity will tend to lose the ability to use it.
 We all like to give lip service to giving God our best musical offerings but more and more this is less and less of a reality.  Certainly, the way we often music unto God is far from the Bible example of giving Him a lamb without blemish.  When I think about the hundreds of hours that I have spent in my lifetime perfecting my musical gifts, talents and skills, I shudder at the way we often music unto Him in the context of public worship.  I am convinced that when I face Him whose eyes are as a flame of fire at the great day of judgment I will have to give an account of how I have musiced unto Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment