Thursday, January 11, 2018

Bible Principles of Musicing vs. Personal Preferences-Pt 2


Bible Principles of Musicing vs. Personal Preferences-Pt 2
           There is something that I have learned over the years that has helped me—my musical preferences do not matter enough to cause me to break fellowship with other musicians who disagree with me. In the light of what words spoken do to relationships, most musical preferences really do not matter as much as we think they do when the waves of adversity and disagreement are blowing.  At these times we need Christian musical friendship more than having our way musically.   What we need to do in these times is let the blessed Holy Spirit be our rudder to help us stay out of “foot in mouth disease” and remain on course musically.
            I am not saying that my philosophical preferences do not matter.  I am simply acknowledging that my relationship with other Christian musicians matters more than most of my musical preferences.  They matter enough for me to disagree agreeably with my Christian colleagues who are of a different opinion about music education, music ministry, and church music preferences. So, I must very carefully differentiate between Bible principles of musicing which are not negotiable because if the Bible clearly teaches something we must all follow this teaching.  There is a difference between my personal musical convictions which are based on my interpretation of what the Bible teaches about how I must music unto God; and my musical preferences that what make me most comfortable musicing unto God-- which are negotiable.


No comments:

Post a Comment