Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Reassuring the Faithful and Convincing the Unbelieving


Reassuring the Faithful and Convincing the Unbelieving

“Over the ages, kings and princesses, revolutionaries and priests, peasants and slaves, have expressed their hopes and fears through music.  While aiming to convince, they have used music to reassure the faithful as much as to persuade the unbelieving” The Sounds of Social Change, by R. Serge Denisoff and Richard A. Peterson, p 13.  We know that this is true of ancient civilizations including ancient Israel.  Music Was used in the time Job lived, It was use in the battle of Jericho and in in the First Temple.
            As we are now in the second decade of the twenty-first century music is still being used to express emotions and beliefs of peoples of all cultures.  More particularly, we are concerned with the music of the social and religious life of Christians.  When I read the above quote I immediately asked the question, “How are we as Christians doing when it comes to reassuring the faithful and convincing the unbelieving?” 
            I am sobered by the reality of the fact that our sacred and secular musicing all must come under the Lordship of Jesus Christ the righteous one.  It is the truth that no Christian musician lives to himself or herself and that neither will die to himself or herself.  When I face Him whose eyes are as a flame of fire at the judgment, I will give an account of my sacred and secular musicing.  Therefore I must be careful of how my musicing will affect  both the faithful and the unbeliever.
Prayer for the Day
Oh, Thou mighty God of Heaven and Earth I am sobered before You this afternoon as I commit these thoughts to pen and ink.  Lord only You know what affect my music and my musicing is having on Your children and to those who do not know You in Saving faith.  I am asking you to be my avant garde and my rearward as I music for Your glory.  Lord I do not want to fail You with my feeble musical efforts, so I am asking You to make my musicing efficacious.  This I am praying in Your wise and wonderful Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment