Saturday, December 24, 2016

Silent Night by Joseph Mohr


Silent Night by Joseph Mohr 
Silent night, Holy night,
All is calm, All is bright
Round yon virgin mother and child.
Holy infant so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace.
Sleep in heavenly peace.                                             

Silent night, Holy night,
Shepherds quake at the sight,
Glories stream from heaven afar,
Heavenly hosts sing alleluia; 
Christ the Savior, is born! 
Christ the Savior, is born!  
Silent night, Holy night,
Son of God, Love's pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face, 
With the dawn of redeeming grace,  
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.  
            I am sitting in my little man cave in my favorite easy chair with my computer on my lap trying to imagine what it was like that wonderful night over 2,000 years ago.   Although I have a big imagination, I am still mystified by the thought of that starry night long ago was a “Holy night”. 
             Sometimes we chuckle when we sing  Shepherds quake at the sight”.  Honestly, if I had been out there on those Judean hills, I would have been terrified when surrounded by the heavenly hosts who were proclaiming Christ’s birth.  Think of it, they were telling those shepherds that Jesus was the “Son of God, Love's pure light”. Through those “Radiant beams from thy holy face” the angels were telling these lowly shepherds they were going to be eye witness to “the dawn of redeeming grace”.  Thank God that He sent His only begotten son to live in in our hearts!  What wondrous grace is this!   
Christmas Eve Prayer    
Although this is everything but a silent night at our house, I want to thank You in the midst of the hustle and bustle of this wonderful Christmas season for coming to this earth on that silent night in Bethlehem.  Thank you for changing the world on that eventful night.  I want to thank You on this eve of Your birth for being the Savior of the world and for forgiving my sins and coming into my heart on that July evening in 1967.  This I pray with much thankfulness.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment