Friday, October 14, 2016

The Lord will “Set a Watch”


The Lord will “Set a Watch”

Psalm 141:3 “Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.”

            The psalmist was well aware that the lips control the mouth.  If a Christian’s lips are closed, nothing rash or hurtful will be said.  Surely every Christian musician should pray this prayer of the musician David.  Have you ever thought of why David asked the self-existent eternal God to constantly watch over his mouth?

            David’s prayer in Psalm 19:14 helps us to understand why he needed JHVH to “set a watch “over his lips.  He prayed, “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.”  Unless God has control of a musician’s lips, hasty hurtful statements are apt to come out.   The little poetic thought “sticks and stones may hurt my bones but word can never hurt me” sounds good but for most of us it just isn’t true. Words spoken by others often cut deeply.

            So, David understood that we need God to constantly watch over the door of the musician’s mouth which is our lips.  In Psalm 34:13 David admonishes a person who loves and serves YHVH to, 1Peter 2:21gives New testament commentary on For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.”

Thought for the Day

Being a Christian does not exempt a musician from having “guile” in his or her mouth.  It will come out sooner or later unless that musician allows God to “set a watch” before his or her mouth.

Song for the Day Cleanse Me by J. Edwin Orr

Prayer for the Day

“Search me oh God, and know my heart today.”  I am asking you Lord who is all- powerful and all-knowing to constantly watch my lips so that I will not fail You and hurt my Christian brother by any careless words that I might say.  I am praying like David, “Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.  This I am asking You today.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment