Friday, July 1, 2022

The Most Important Thing for a Musician to Hide

 

The Most Important Thing for a Musician to Hide

“Psalm 119:11-12, “Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee.  Blessed art thou O lord, teach me thy statutes.

Musicians who are too busy to read God’s Word regularly seem to suppose that God will pour knowledge into their brain like oil through a funnel.  How can a musician honestly ask God to teach him or her His statutes if that Christian has not read them, studied them, and hence, has hidden them in his or her heart? 

          The Hebrew word translated statutes is derived from chaqaq (2710) which means to engrave something.  So, the psalmist is stating that he has engraved god’s statutes deep on his heart.  This connotes deep study, care and respect for what God’s word teaches.  The word teach lamad (3925) means to goad.  Are we as Christian musicians willing to submit our minds to the rod of the Lord?  Many, many times in my life I have found myself saying “ouch” when the Lord has finally awakened my mind with the goading of His instructive rod.  I read God’s word but failed to understand what it was teaching.  Only after the rod of correction was I able to get it through my head that God was trying to teach me something important.

No comments:

Post a Comment