Saturday, November 28, 2020

Treating the Holy Writ with Much Respect

 

Treating the Holy Writ with Much Respect

 When I commit my beliefs to pen and ink, it is possible that I spend more time with the English dictionary, Bible language dictionaries, and lexicons than I do writing my own thoughts.  My writings are far from inspired, but that does not mean that I do not labor over each word, phrase, and sentence. I would be greatly offended if my readers were to suppose that I had intended to write the opposite meaning of my intent.

So, if a writer expects readers to trust his supposed meanings of the original Bible words in his writings, that author must treat the ancient inspired writings of the Old and New Testaments with much respect.  Changing the Holy Writ to merely fit modern thinking is a very dangerous writing technique.  As Revelation 22:18-19 warns, “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” Therefore, a writer has an obligation to the original meaning of the inspired words that were used in the Bible.  When I am exposing and defining original passages of the Bible that are thousands of years old, I endeavor to always identify the original words as well as give keyed numbers so that the reader may do personal language studies to establish if my interpretations are valid or not.

 

Scripture Thought for the Day

Revelation 22:19, “And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment