Thursday, May 11, 2017

Songs in the Night


Songs in the Night

Job 35:9-10, “By reason of the multitude of oppressions they make the oppressed to cry: they cry out by reason of the arm of the mighty.  But none saith, where is God my maker, who giveth songs in the night…?”
            I find it hard to understand the mental torture that Job experienced at the same time that he was in such physical distress.  I find it even harder to understand what it was like to be oppressed by his friends.  I often wonder how Job withstood all this torment without charging God foolishly.  Adam Clarke’s comments on verse nine include, “A holy soul has continual communion with God: night and day its happiness is great; and God, from whom it comes, is the continual subject of its songs of praise.”  I believe Clarke was correct in hypothesizing that Job was in continual connection and communion and that this connection helped to make him an overcomer.
            Psalm 42:8 which is a psalm for or to “the chief musician” gives us more food for thought when it says, “Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.”  This psalm giving instruction of the sons or for the sons of Korah is an eternal reminder to chief musicians that when they are called on to be misunderstood or misjudged by others that God’s night song will be with them and furthermore the words of the song that God brings to their memory can become a prayer to those who have our heavenly Father as the God of their lives.
Prayer for Christian Musicians
Our dear and precious heavenly Father, I am coming unto your presence by the mediatorial agency of Jesus Christ my Elder Brother and my Advocate.  Thank you for the songs that You give in the night of pressure, misunderstanding and oppression of others.  I am asking you to give comfort, solace, rest, release and restoration to Your chief musicians  who are oppressed by Satan the enemy of every Christian musician’s soul.  I am asking You to let Your presence be experienced by every Christian musician who is serving You with all his or her ability.  Please grant continual communion and connection to these musicians who are at this very moment under the fire of misunderstanding and oppression.  I am asking You to give complete victory in Your powerful and wonderful name.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment