Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Music Ministers that Minister in Love


Music Ministers that Minister in Love

1Corinthians 13:4, “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,” 

            The Revised Standard Version translates1Corinthians 13:4, “Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful” Love in action is patient even if the Christian has to suffer for a long time. Some unfortunate situations do not go away quickly.   If a music minister has the heart of a pastor he or she will have to endure some things (and some people) that are hard to endure.
            If all that a minister of music had put up with was a soprano who sings under pitch he or she would live a charmed life.  I remember one afternoon when one of my fine technical assistants was working in the auditorium at the top of a sixteen foot step ladder when a most annoying young man came and stood at the base of the ladder spouting off acrid comments to the technician.  I will never forget what the no nonsense technician calmly said to the student at the base of the ladder—“Go away”.
            I did not chuckle but I thought to myself that at that moment that although I had remained silent, on the inside I was not inwardly patient or kind.  As I look back on that short event many times I have realized that what I lacked at that particular time was the agape love spoken of by the Corinthian writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment