Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Christian Musician’s Attitude


A Christian Musician’s Attitude
Psalm 94:1,  O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongeth; O God, to whom vengeance belongeth, shew thyself.
          Sometimes Christian a musician has been done wrong, and especially when he or she has been offended by the way that another Christian, the natural reaction is to retaliate with words.  A Christian musician may also be tempted to get even with the wrong doer.  At such a time, it is often to turn the other cheek.  If you do, he offender will most hit you on the other cheek.  Since that is no fun, the offended may be tempted to think, “Just you wait Henry Higgins…”  and think of ways that you may return the “favor”.          We know what the Bible teaches about such situations.  Verses like Matthew 5:44 “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you…” often come to the offended Musician’s mind.  Praying for the offender may seem extreme, but that is what Jesus taught us to do!  1Peter 3:14 states, “But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.”
          To all of this I often have to say “ouch”.  I am not going to sit here at my computer, and give the impression that it is easy for me to do what the Bible teaches after I have been wronged.  However, this is what the Bible teaches .  So, I am preaching to myself!  I suppose that the only Christian musicians who are not misunderstood about music and musicing are those who never music unto God.  So, get prepared to be misunderstood ever now and then.   

Prayer for the Day
O, Lord You are perfect and wonderful. You are all wise and therefore without offense.  Lord, I am far from perfect, but I am trying to follow what Your Word teaches.  I am praying that You will give Your musical servant an understanding heart.   Please help me to always be kind and longsuffering with others when they disagree with how I music unto You.  This I am asking in Your wise name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment