Friday, October 7, 2016

God Helps the Poor in Spirt and the Poor in Pocket


God Helps the Poor in Spirt and the Poor in Pocket

Psalm 34:6, “This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.”

            Charles Spurgeon explained this verse effectively in his Devotional Commentary, “He [David] describes himself as a poor man, and so he was, for he was driven from home and country.  His prayer was only a cry, yet the Lord answered him, and all his troubles vanished.  Let the poor in spirit, and the poor in pocket, try the psalmist's plan, and they will soon sing as he did.”  David was grateful for God’s deliverance so he said, in verse two, “My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.”

            As I look back on the times that the Lord has come to my rescue, I am sad to say that I have not always remembered to brag on the Lord like David did on this occasion.  Musicians are famous for being self-starters.  This is an excellent character trait unless this self-sufficiency causes us to forget our sufficient Savior who never slumbers or sleeps.  He is always there at the right hand of God the father making intercession for us.  So, when we cry to Him and He hears us and saves us out of our troubles, whether we have been poor in spirit or poor in pocket or both, we must remember to thank and praise Him for what He has done for us.

Song for the Day—I Will Call Upon the Lord by Michael O’Shields

Thought for the Day

Christian musicians are sometimes much more emotional when they are needing help from God than when they are praising Him.

Prayer for the Day

Precious and merciful Savior I want to make my boast in in Your wonderful, powerful, All-sufficient name.  You are wonderful, wise and all-knowing.  I want to thank you for the many times that you have delivered me out of my troubles.  Please forgive me for not being more thankful.  Help me to, like David, sing Your praises to say “I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.”  Help me to not only say it but also mean it.  Help me to say, “Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.” (Ps 104:1)  This I am praying in Your strong name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment